Thursday, September 24, 2009

and now...for some words on fruit.

pineapple is my favorite fruit. it's probably my favorite food. it may even be my favorite thing. in the whole world. i cook with it a lot. i put it in curries, stir fries, soups and simmer pots. you can put it in a cake, on pizza, salads or ice cream, or just eat it straight up. pineapple liqueor is good, and pineapple juice is even better. you can use it as a delicious garnish for a fancy dish or a tasty drink...this all begs the question: what doesn't pineapple go with? the answer, of course, is nothing. below is a poem i wrote whilst sailing which expresses my love for this fantastic fruit.


ode to the pineapple

o what pleasures hide 'neath your prickly skin!
thy is drunk on the perfume that outranks the scents akin.
a sweet boquet not found in all the king's wineries,
and lush golds that shine more brilliant than the finest of fineries.
redolent of shimmering sun swept beaches,
thy would seek'est thee to the farthest of reaches.
and take thou in dressed or naked
o! to taste a flesh so sacred

(this is the second version, after some suggestions from my mom. here's to around the world poetry collaborations!)

...and, more passage poetry...

the one that got away

with a whump or a whir or even a whine
a booming voice bellows "what is this thing that tugs at my line!?"
a BIG fucking fish, a creature so fine?
and moments from now, you shall be mine!
that is until it gets gone as quick as it came
leaving our hero to forlornly proclaim:
"oh shit my china, i'll git'ya next time!"


1 comment:

  1. Hey Mark --

    Sounds like a plan to me. I'll have to look up one of those places.

    call us before you set sail.

    dad

    ReplyDelete